Colin Starkevich, BSc, AFC
Represented by The Main Gallery & Framing Studio Ltd. (formerly The Gallery On Main) in Lacombe, AB
Artists For Conservation (AFC) - Signature member since 2017
Youth Ambassador for: Get to Know-your wild neighbours program-international program (involved since 2007)
Youth Ambassador for: Coalition Wild-international program (involved since 2015)
May 2014 University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB
Bachelor of Science (Environmental Science)
October 10-15 2010 Hollyhock educational retreat centre, Cortes Island, BC
Robert Bateman Master Artists Seminar
(Invited personally by Robert Bateman)
April 2010 Lakeland College, Vermilion, AB
Wildlife & Fisheries Conservation Diploma
Exhibitions and Special Projects
"Colin Starkvich Featuring: The Grassland Series" Concourse & Passage Galleries at Casa Arts Facility, Lethbridge AB (November 16th, 2015-January 9th, 2016)
-Solo exhibition featuring 35 originals from Colin's Grassland Series.
"Glimpses of the Grasslands: The Artistic Vision of Colin Starkevich" ROYAL ALBERTA MUSEUM, Edmonton AB (May 16th-September 27th, 2015)
-2500 square foot Solo Exhibition as a Feature Exhibit at the Royal Alberta Museum, exhibition marks the premier exhibition of The Grassland Series and includes over 60 original works by Colin Starkevich. Visit www.colinandthegrasslandseries.com to see more.
Casa (Creating Arts in Southern Alberta) Arts Facility, Lethbridge AB (November-December 26th, 2014)
-Solo Exhibition on show wall near reception desk: Ferruginous Hawk, Bindloss Buck, Eye's on the Road-Rattlesnake, Autumn in the Parkland, and Childhood Dream.
"Student Art Exhibition, Alberta Arts Days 2013" Sterling Mutuals Inc. Lethbridge, AB (September 22nd-September 29th 2013) Group Exhibition
- Exhibited 5 original paintings along with work from 3 other student artist's.
TEDx Talks-Chinook High School Theatre, Lethbridge, AB (January 25th 2013) Group Exhibition
- Exhibited 8 pieces of new and past work outside the theatre where the TEDx talks were held, group exhibition
The TEDx talks were motivational speakers speaking about overcoming challenges and demonstrating talent through art, singing, and playing music.
Solo Exhibit - City Hall, Lethbridge Alberta (December 7th 2012-January 4th 2013) Solo Exhibition
-Featured 8 pieces of past work on the 3rd level of the City Hall building in Lethbridge,AB
Mural at Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey (Strathcona Raptor Shelter), Strathcona County, AB (May- July 2012) Special Project
- Mural painted in acrylic depicting Osprey on main wall in lobby area at the Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey (Strathcona Raptor Shelter).
"Colin Starkevich Featuring Wildlife Art" Sterling Mutuals Inc., Lethbridge, AB (March 5th-April 27th 2012)Solo Exhibition
- 26 pieces exhibited, paintings and drawings of wildlife, Solo exhibition where an opening reception was held
?Student Art Exhibition? Penny Building, Lethbridge, AB (January 21st-January 29th 2012) Group Exhibition
- 5 paintings: "Marianne's Portrait", "Northern Leopard Frog", "Sturgeon River Goldeneye", "Morning Solittude", "Untitled (Grizzly bears" in group exhibition
Special Places Exhibit? Yates Gallery, Lethbridge, AB (November 9th- January 17th 2011) Group Exhibition
-2 paintings: "Winter Ravens", and "Headed North" in group exhibition
Bowman Arts Centre, Lethbridge, AB (September- November 9th 2011) Group Exhibition
- Oil painting: Great Plains Toad, on display in showcase.
Royal Alberta Museum Gift Shop (June 28th- November 10th 2011
-Four original paintings exhibited: Coffee Run, Morning Solitude, Sturgeon River Goldeneye, and Northern Leopard Frog.
M.E Lazerte Public High School, Edmonton, AB (April 2011) Solo Exhibit and Presentation
-Displayed over 15 pieces of new and past work to students while speaking to them about the challenges and dedication one has to put in to their art work if they want to be a serious artist.
Nature Fest 2010, Lethbridge, AB (October 2010) Group Exhibition
-Displayed: Autumn in the Parkland, The 82nd Street King, Dawn of a Prairie Night, Marianne's Portrait, American avocet, and Sturgeon River Goldeneye.
-Spoke about some of my artwork and some of my experiences with nature to encourage others to get outside and enjoy nature.
Fish Creek Rotary Club - Calgary, AB (April 18th, 2016)
- Spoke about the Get to Know-your wild neighbours program and the opportunities this program provides for young people who have a passion for nature and the arts, ending by speaking about my current work and how my involvement with the program has been one of my supporters over the years.
Helen Schuler Nature Centre - Lethbridge, AB (April 9th, 2016)
At a celebration event hosted by the Rotary East club of Lethbridge and the Get to Know program, I was happy to speak to a youthful audience about finding their passion in life and tying it into their talents to make a positive difference in our natural world, sharing a little of my personal experience about my own artwork and passion for the Grasslands.
Wallace Stegner House-Eastend, SK (June 22nd, 2015)
-Spoke to the public in backyard of The Wallace Stegner House about my artwork, the Get to Know-your wild neighbours program, and what I have been working on during my stay as artist in residence for the month of June 2015.
Eastend School-Eastend, SK (June 18th, 2015)
-Spoke to grade 6 and 7 students about my artwork and opportunities for them as young artists through the international Get to Know-your wild neighbours program.
M.E Lazerte Public High School, Edmonton, AB (March, 2015)
-Spoke for an 45 minutes to 4 different classes of High School art students about finding your passion in art and excelling at it.
"Get to Know-your wild neighbours" International Unconference, Kelowna, BC (October 4th 2014)
-Presented a 15 minute presentation about The Grassland Series and what I wish to achieve with the series and why I think the Grasslands are important. I was selected as one of 12 youth (aged 25 and younger) from across North America to present a statement art piece or project at this international Unconference. I was then selected as one of the top 3 presenters and was interviewed by Shaw television in a segment featuring the top 3 presenters from this conference. The segment can be found on my videos page.
"Get to Know" Contest Launch Event, Calgary Zoo, AB (April 2012)
-Spoke about my experiences with nature and encouraged youth to enter into the 2012 "Get to Know" Calendar contest.
International Robert Bateman ?Get to Know? Unconference, Kelowna, BC (June 2010)
-Spoke about my experiences with the Get to Know program as a contest winner alumni, and honoured youth delegate.
Alberta Society for Injured Birds of Prey (April 2007 - present)
- Helped in the aid of Injured birds of prey
- Cleaned, and maintained cages/pens
-Went to pick up injured or orphaned birds that came in on call
- Learn how to identify birds, especially birds of prey
Ducks Unlimited Canada (April 2010)
- Cleaned out, and fixed up nest tunnels with classmates for a day.
Teacher Assistant (May 2009 ? June 2009)
- Mentored young artists in an after school painting class at my old High school
- Instructed students how to paint with oils, and provided my knowledge of putting together a painting (composition, perception, colours etc.)
Wildlife Rehabilitation Society of Edmonton (December 2007 - January 2008)
-Helped in the aid for injured or orphaned wildlife
-Cleaned, and maintained cages/pens
-Learned about wildlife and their food sources
Awards & Donations
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial in "Art of Canada" feature (October 2016)
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial in "The Beauty of Nature" feature (August 2015)
Artist residence at the Wallace Stegner House - Eastend, SK (June 2015)
-Awarded artist's residence for the month of June at the internationally known, Wallace Stegner House. During my stay as artist in residence I worked on creating plein air pieces of the Grasslands region of Canada, as well as worked on fine art pieces and gathered reference material from the surrounding Grasslands for new works to The Grassland Series in the future.
Top presenter at International "Get to Know-your wild neighbours" Unconference, Kelowna, BC (October 4th 2014)
- Selected as one of 12 youth (aged 25 or younger) from North America to present a statement art piece or project. I presented a 15 minute talk about The Grassland Series. I was then selected as one of the top 3 presenters by the panel of judges and was interviewed by Shaw television in a segment they put together about the Unconference. The news segment can be viewed on my videos page.
"Southwest Art" magazine editorial and ad (January 2014)
- As a recent finalist in the 30th annual international artist's competition through "The Artist's Magazine", I have been privileged to have an editorial and ad about my work featured in the January 2014 edition of the prestigious Southwest Art magazine. The editorial and ad can be found on pages 60 and 75 respectively.
"The Artist's Magazine" 30th Annual Art Competition, Professional division (2013)
- My oil painting "Grassland Harmonies"was selected as a finalist in the professional division in the Animal/Wildlife category in this prestigious international art competition. There were over 6000 entries amongst 5 categories worldwide in the 2013 competition. My name and hometown will be published in the December, 2013 issue of The Artist's Magazine. An accomplishment that I am truly proud of as being selected as a finalist competing at a professional level in this international competition at the age of 23.
Rose Margaret King Merit Award (2008)
-An award of 2,200 dollars towards my post secondary education. The awards were given out to students who had volunteer experience and had contributed to their community.
National RBC Financial Life skills Scholarship (2008)
- I was selected as the male winner of the western provinces in Canada for this award. It was a scholarship for 2,008 dollars for my post secondary education. The scholars were selected based on set career goals, volunteer experience, and community involvement.
National 2007 Robert Bateman "Get to Know" Art Contest (2007)
-I was selected as the winner of my age group for the contest with my oil painting. My work was featured in the 2008 "Get to Know" calendar and on items and in wildlife magazines sponsored by the"Get to Know" program.
2010 Print of Autumn in the Parkland Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2010 Print of Eastern Red-tailed Hawk Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2008 Print of Majestic gold, Golden Eagle Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
2008 Print of Ruddy duck Donated to Ducks Unlimited Canada
*All donations to Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) are auctioned off at DUC events in order to raise money to help conserve and protect Canada's wetlands and the creatures within them.
Taxidermy mounts donated to Lakeland College, Vermilion Campus
-Northern Saw-whet Owl -Green-winged Teal
-Greater White-fronted Goose -Northern Pintail
-Northern Pocket Gopher -Ross's Goose
*Taxidermy mounts are of professional quality, not study skins and were donated to the College's wildlife collection to provide specimen's to help students with their wildlife identification skills which will become important to them for their future careers in the wildlife conservation/environmental fields.